Composition Practice: ‘Epic Journey’

epic_journey_natasha

This is an image I created using pre-created vector images and brushes in Photoshop. It signifies the idea of an epic journey as I included the theme of a knight on horseback, travelling through a forest to rescue the princess in a far-away castle. I had to carefully think about the composition using the thirds grid, so I used two diagonal points in which to place the main focal points. These two points (knight and castle) had to portray the narrative accurately, so in order to achieve this I altered the size accordingly. The trees were not only used to build up the forest design, they were also used in order to draw the viewer’s eye towards the main focal point. By creating a ‘dip’ in the valleys/mountains, this also helped to make the castle more prominent in the whole image.

Some things I could improve on with this image is the outline of the knight and horse– when zoomed in the edges are somewhat pixellated which need to be fixed in order to give a crisp, clean vector. I could also perhaps change the colour scheme to either green or purple (having elements of nature and fantasy respectively). Perhaps utilising the other main focal points as part of the thirds grid would have helped, however this would have needed experimentation as there is a risk of overcrowding the image.